How to present your property
When you want to get the best sale price for your home, the way it’s presented can make a big difference. We have years of experience in helping our clients showcase their properties at their very best.
Often it only takes a few small changes to make your home more appealing to potential buyers.
How to improve your kerb appeal
First impressions matter. Before any viewers come to see your property, you should stand outside your home and imagine that you are seeing it for the first time.
Potential buyers will often form a strong impression of your home before they even reach the front door, so it is essential the outside appearance is attractive.
Ensure the area outside your door is neat and tidy. If you have a shared entrance, any communal areas should also be tidy and the entry-phone system smart with the names clearly marked. Any paintwork on the front door should be in good condition.
If you have a garden, remove any weeds, mow the lawn and trim trees and bushes. You may want to consider offering to do the same for your next-door neighbour if their garden could do with tidying up.
Let there be light and space
When it comes to the inside of your property, people want to see lots of light and space.
Here are a few ways you can make your home a bit brighter for viewings:
- Make sure all blinds and curtains are open
- If it’s dull outside, turn on lights and lamps
- Clean your windows inside and out before viewings
- Cut back any trees or bushes that may be blocking out natural light
Clearing the clutter
Creating a feeling of space in your home will make it more appealing. It’s important to clear away as much clutter as possible, which may include any items of unnecessary furniture that make rooms look smaller.
Having as little as possible in your cupboards and other storage space is also wise. This will let potential buyers see how much room there actually is, rather than a storage space packed full of your items.
Sell a lifestyle, not bricks and mortar
When you’re showing potential buyers around your home, it’s important to sell what it’s like to live there by creating a positive experience.
These first few tips are obvious, but you’d be surprised at how often they’re ignored by sellers:
- Don’t leave any dishes out in your kitchen
- Make sure the beds are made in all the rooms
- Have a friend or family member look your place over to see if you’ve missed anything
When you’re showing people around, a pleasant atmosphere is essential. Here are some more tips to help with this:
- Make sure your home is spotlessly clean throughout
- Get any niggling issues fixed such as dripping taps or cupboard doors that don’t close
- Keep the property at a comfortable temperature for the time of year
- Get rid of any strong cooking odours
- Remove any pets that may get in the way during viewings
In some cases it might be worth investing more significant amounts of time and/or money in improving your property.
Our experienced team will be able to advise you on whether such changes are worthwhile, and if so, how to go about making them. If a makeover is required, we can also recommend home stagers to make your property more appealing.
If you're thinking of selling your home soon, find out more about our free property valuation